CHEROKEE COUNTY NEIGHBORHOOD REVITALIZATION PLAN

General Overview

  • The program will run five years, January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2022 (but may be renewed) and encompasses all Cherokee County, excluding property within the Baxter Springs Neighborhood Revitalization Area.
  • If construction begins during that period, and the property owner applies and is approved prior to 12/31/22, the project is eligible for five full years of rebated taxes.
  • A $25 non-refundable application fee is due along with an application form; the only additional qualifier is being current on all real, personal and special assessment taxes for property owned in Cherokee County.
  • The application form must be submitted before project completion.
  • The rebate transfers with ownership of the property, for any remaining time in the program for that property.
  • Property taxes must be paid in full, on time, and then 95% of the incremental increase in taxes for the participating taxing entities* will be returned each year for five years, in the form of a rebate check; the remaining 5% is retained to cover administration costs. (*does not apply to the school district capital outlay levy as per state statute)
  • The incremental increase is the difference in appraised value between January 1st of the application year and January 1st of the year following completion of the construction/rehabilitation project.
  • Property taxes must be paid on time each year, to remain in the program.
  • The rebate will apply to taxes on new residential, commercial and agricultural construction, but not the existing lot already owned. Must add at least $10,000 or 10% (whichever is less) to the property’s appraised value.
  • The program will apply to residential, commercial and agricultural remodeling or rehabilitation projects that add at least $10,000 or 10% (whichever is less) to the appraised value of the existing structure. The tax on the incremental increase in value will be rebated as described previously. Please contact County Appraiser Mark Hixon if unsure whether your remodeling project will meet requirements.

Questions may be directed to Cherokee County Appraiser Mark Hixon: 620-429-3984; mhixon@cherokeecounty-ks.gov

Application forms may be obtained at:

Cherokee County Appraiser’s office: Cherokee County Courthouse; 110 W. Maple; Columbus

Application form and $25 fee should be returned to the Cherokee County Appraiser’s office.